To Spank or not to spank? Is it even a question anymore? There is overwhelming evidence of both the short term and long term negative effects of spanking children. The Latin root of discipline means "to teach," while the Latin root of punishment means "to inflict pain."
Are we teaching our children by hurting them?
The strongest proven, negative associations with spanking are:
* Negative parent-child relationship
* Child mental health problems
* Increased risk of a child becoming an abuse victim
* Aggressive child behavior
* Antisocial behavior in childhood and adulthood
* Low self-esteem
* Damage to the child’s brain- causes a reduction in grey matter in the brain, which is an essential part of the central nervous system and influences intelligence and learning abilities.
Despite overwhelming evidence of the negative effects of spanking children, many parents still believe it is their right to spank their children.
To date 60 countries have ban the corporal punishment of children in the home.
Should it be illegal to spank your children in South Africa?